New with a couple of questions

DeWaldo

New with a couple of questions

Post by DeWaldo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to being a server admin. I've been hosting with Pingperfect for about a month now, originally running a public server with a custom world.

With a never-ending assault from griefers I've decided to take the server Private as per the instructions here - http://pingperfect.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=532 (which worked perfectly thank you) and add Endless Cargoship Mod and increase the inventory size through the Configuration File. The Mod appeared but the inventory size appears to be unchanged.

When making the server private I used the Save & Backup World function in the control panel and restarted the server to allow the changes to take effect. When the server restarted I hit the Restore World button and selected the only option, expecting to spawn into the same world with our progress saved. Sigh* - unfortunately not. The custom map was the same, same custom asteroids and starter ship but we had lost all our progress.

My concern now is I obviously dont' know what I'm doing...I'm unsure how to properly save progress and stop/start/restart the server.

How do I change options like welding/grinding speed and inventory size and what do I need to do in order for these changes to take effect on the server? Sorry, I'm sure these questions are fairly simple for someone with a bit of Server experience to answer, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Also if you could explain the advantages of SEServerExtender, I'd greatly appreciate it...

Thanks

Ragonz
Site Admin

Re: New with a couple of questions

Post by Ragonz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi DeWaldo

The Save & Backup feature will only backup what is currently in your saved files at the time when you click the button. With autosave broken on all dedicated servers currently (The game devs are trying to fix this and have been for about 2 weeks now) - This is why we sent out loads of emails about SEServerExtender as it fixes Autosave but has to be setup by us. (Thats the only benefit of the mod at this time)

As for changing options on a pre-existing world you need to follow this guide http://pingperfect.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=546
Grab a game server from us by clicking the picture below
Got an issue? Submit a Support Ticket

DeWaldo

Post by DeWaldo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks RagonZ for the quick reply.

Once I've manually edited Sandbox.sbc when will the changes take effect? Is it instant or will I need to Start/Stop or Restart the server? And if I Stop or Restart the server, will I lose all the progress so far?

Also will having SE Server Extender installed wipe the progress on the server so far?

More questions I know, but I appreciate the help...

Ragonz
Site Admin

Post by Ragonz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Any changes need to be followed by a server reboot to take effect
Restarting without SEServerExtender installed will wipe your progress (we have to restart to install the mod so better to do it now rather than later)
Please drop us a ticket when you want it installing
Grab a game server from us by clicking the picture below
Got an issue? Submit a Support Ticket

Return to “Space Engineers”